Health & Safety NewsThis is the Health & Safety News section. This page is a resource aimed at assisting clubs, trainers, licensees, and other sector groups.
This page is updated with the latest information, manuals, and other pertinent documentation.
A frequently asked question in the thoroughbred industry is – What is a Notifiable Event and what do I have to do in regards to reporting such an occurrence?
The link below is to the WorkSafe website which has a concise tool to help you understand a Notifiable Event:
This also explains what a Notifiable Death, Injury, Illness or Incident is.
Your mouth is a great bit of safety gear - use yours to get talking. Check out WorkSafe's latest campaign here:
The link for the homepage on the WorkSafe website is:
Health and Safety (H&S) Templates and Supporting DocumentsNZTR and HRNZ staff, along with WorkSafe representatives previously carried out a series of Health and Safety workshops in regional centres. The workshops were well attended by Clubs, Industry sector groups and RIU staff. As a result of the workshops a series of H&S templates and advisories have been created to assist in producing your own plans.
These documents are available on your code body web site. If you would prefer them emailed or in another format please contact:
NZTR - email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Health and Safety at Work Act came into force in April 2016 with additional Health and Safety requirements, as the Government looks to substantially reduce New Zealand’s work accident record.
It is important that Health and Safety is given a priority now in your workplace and is regularly discussed.
Both NZTR and HRNZ have resources to assist Clubs and can also advise other sector groups as to where they can get assistance and guidance if required, your local WorkSafe representative is also available to assist.
CLUB RESOURCES AVAILABLE
- Summary of the new Health & Safety Act – this is a legal overview of the new Act and how it impacts on your club;
- Board reporting – outlines suggestions for Health & Safety reporting to a Board/Committee;
- Health & Safety Manual and Appendix– A very comprehensive guide to assist clubs with writing or updating their Health & Safety Plan;
- Induction – Guide for staff training;
- Training track guidelines for Thoroughbred.
RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR INDUSTRY STAKEHOLDERS
- Summary of the Health & Safety Act – this is a legal overview of the Health and Safety Act and how it impacts on trainers, breeders and jockeys;
- Trainer/breeder - contractor induction;
- Trainer/breeder - staff induction;
- Trainer/breeder - Basic H&S Plan
- Induction doc – NZTR stable staff (document suitable for people new to the stable environment).
The following WorkSafe websites have advice and forms that may assist you:
Signage for Stables and Stud Farms March
Modified Safety Guide
|Horse Racing Safety Guide - Stables||Download|
|Planning Document||Health and Safety Plan Outline - sector groups||Download|