EXPERIENCED RACING ADMINISTRATOR TAKES HELM AT RUAKAKA
27 November 2015, 8:05 a.m.
The Whangarei Racing Club (WRC) welcomes the highly experienced racing administrator Bill Colgan as General Manager of the Club. The President of the Club Mr. Shayne Heape stated that “The Club is entering a new and exciting stage at its Ruakaka venue so it is important to have the skills and experience of Bill to assist the Committee to establish the foundations for the future growth of the venue”.
Bill brings the experience of a broad racing and wagering background from both NZ and Australia. The Club looks forward to growing its status to an important venue for the region and a vibrant member of the northern racing cluster.
Bill, recently CEO of the Rockhampton Jockey Club in Queensland and previously serving over seven years in senior management roles with the NZ Racing Board, commented that “I am pleased that such an exciting opportunity is available on my return to NZ and I look forward to working with the WRC Committee in pursuing the unique racing and venue development opportunities that exist. The region has a growing population so it is important to develop a long term master plan for the venue whilst building the local interest in the racing.”
Bill commences his role at the Club in early December.
Whangarei Racing Club
- Whangarei Racing Club has conducted thoroughbred racing at Ruakaka since moving from Kensington in 1976.
- Whangarei Racing Club is considering development plans for the Ruakaka venue and is working with NZ Thoroughbred Racing on strategic options.
- Bill Colgan’s experience includes:
- last two years as CEO at Rockhampton Jockey Club (45 thoroughbred meetings per year);
- seven years at NZ Racing Board including 17 months as Interim CEO;
- fifteen years in racing administration roles in WA including eleven at Pinjarra Race Club; and
- held a WA thoroughbred trainer’s licence for 12 years.